Calvert Virtual Academy
Give your child an exceptional middle school experience!
Calvert School is pleased to offer Calvert Virtual Academy (CVA), a dynamic program for Sixth through Eighth Grades that uses the latest instructional tools to provide an online environment that prepares students for high school. This program offers flexibility and many tiers of instructional support. Your child can work at his or her own pace accommodating both your family’s schedule and your child’s learning style.
Your child’s academic success is achieved through unparalleled support and plenty of online resources. In the Calvert Virtual Academy, your child receives the dedicated support and oversight of the Homeroom Teacher and Online Instructors, who each remain with your child all year long. They assist you and your student by reviewing checkpoints, assessment grades, and overall pacing.
View a demo of Calvert Virtual Academy
In Calvert Virtual Academy, your child interacts with the Homeroom Teacher and Online Instructors via assignments, assessments, projects and threaded discussions, and live instructional sessions and clubs.
(Click the appropriate grade level and scroll down to select Calvert Virtual Academy)
- A Homeroom Teacher monitors your child’s progress throughout the year by reviewing checkpoints, assessments, grades and overall pacing.
- Calvert Online Instructors grade your child’s work and evaluate his or her progress (serving as the Advisory Teacher). They are available to answer questions to ensure the school day continues smoothly.
- Calvert Education Counselors are also available for questions regarding daily work.
- Periodically, students can attend live, interactive lessons in an online classroom. These lessons focus on skills students traditionally find difficult.
Online Class Page
In the online class page, your student receives communication from their Calvert Online Instructor that include assignments, assessments, projects, threaded discussion topics, and club information. Class pages also feature additional resources and enrichments.
Your student will love the live interaction with peers through the optional Calvert Clubs. Each is meant to enhance your student’s academics, foster creativity, add enjoyment and provide peer interaction. Calvert offers three live clubs for students to choose from:
- Photography Club: For students interested in capturing better images, the Photography Club introduces composition and techniques for taking good photos and experiments with taking pictures of shapes and interesting objects.
- Math Club: This is a club for critical thinkers. In this club students learn about the history of math, investigate finance and explore math through student projects.
- Literature Club: Students who enjoy reading will also enjoy the opportunity to discuss, analyze and share their thoughts about the books read.
Assessment and Student Progress
Different from the Advisory Teaching Service, where tests are provided every 20 lessons, assessments in the Calvert Virtual Academy are more frequent to evaluate content and skills as they are learned. The assessments are in the form of auto-graded quizzes and manually graded tasks like essays, compositions, threaded discussions, and projects.
Projects are designed to evaluate a student on individual effort and use multi-delivery options, such as PowerPoint presentations, essays, drawings or diagrams. Threaded discussions provide an interactive peer environment.
- Pacing flexibility: In keeping with Calvert’s mission, the Calvert Virtual Academy is designed to fit your family’s schedule and your child’s learning needs while providing a structured curriculum and academic excellence.
- Premium program for middle school: All Calvert curriculum is engineered to provide the highest quality education, and the new Calvert Virtual Academy is consistent in keeping with those efforts while also offering you and your family new tools to make your child’s learning experience both successful and fun.
- Unparalleled support: Support from your Calvert Homeroom Teacher, CourseOnline Instructors, and Education Counselors ensure that you and your child have a productive school day. They provide assessments to help with pacing, interesting assignments to help stimulate intellectual curiosity, and are available to answer questions and help your child tackle especially difficulty concepts.
- Enrollment is accepted anytime of year!: Because we want our Calvert Virtual Academy to fit your schedule, you are able to start anytime during the year that is convenient for you and your family.
Calvert Virtual Academy at a Glance
- Support of a dedicated Homeroom Teacher who monitors your child’s progress by reviewing their checkpoints, assessing their grades, and helping with overall pacing.
- Online Instructors evaluate your child’s work and progress and are available to respond quickly to your child’s questions to ensure uninterrupted studies.
- Education Counselors are available to support your child in their daily work.
- An online class page where your child interacts with their Homeroom Teacher and Online Instructors via receiving and handing in assignments, quizzes and projects and getting guidance when needed.
- Clubs designed to enhance your student’s academics, foster creativity, add enjoyment and provide peer interaction.
- Preparation for high school
- Flexibility to start at any time though the year and adjust your pacing to fit the needs of your family
- Live tutorial sessions, led by Online Instructors that provide interactive instruction on skills that students often find challenging.
(click the appropriate grade level below and scroll down the page to select Calvert Virtual Academy)
Click here to view a demo lecture
In this interactive presentation, the instructor discusses the solar system. This presentation was made for students in Sixth Grade Calvert Interactive.
This interactive presentation features discussion on the many functions of the Endocrine System. This presentation was made for students in Sixth Grade Calvert Interactive.
A sample interactive presentation for Sixth Grade Calvert Interactive students that teaches about various ocean zones.
* Please note you need the latest version of Adobe Flash Player to view these presentations. Click here to download and install the latest Flash Player.